My Haro Group 1b BMX Time Capsule

Leave a Comment

My 1990 Haro Group 1b Race Technique BMX was hanging from the rafters of my mums garage. It had not been ridden, let alone touched, in almost 15 years. It's still set up exactly how I raced it, even down to the tires. The next two posts will walk through explaining the Group 1b. I'll go through how it came off the shelf in 1990, the parts that I switched out and why. Let's go!

The Group 1b Frame was based on Mike King's frame geometry. It had a "monotrac" design. Monotrac is a trademark Haro design that combines the bent top tube towards the seat post tube and a "monostay" brake bridge.

The Group 1b came with a chromoly maintube and Haro Racing tapered forks. The condition of my frame and forks is still great for a 24 year old BMX. There are a few few scuffs and scratches, but nothing bad enough that requires a complete respray. It's a great survivor!


Starting at the front of the BMX, the Group 1b came with a Fusion stamped stem that combined a alloy top piece to a chromoly shaft. The headset was a standard black BMX headset manufactured by YST.


My headset is in great condition, except for the flaking black paint. It looks as though these were painted and not anodised so they're either chrome or metal underneath the paint. The stem has definitely seen better days. It has been battered. There are a few chips out of the sides due to being thrown around, either at races or in and out of the car. The bolts are all rusted up. There are no cracks in the stem that can be seen.

The stock braking system that came with the Group 1b consisted of an ACS 860A rear break, a Lee Chi two finger lever and an EZ Glide brake cable.


The brake cable and callipers are still in great condition with only a bit of tarnish on the callipers and some of the nuts and bolts have some surface oxidisation. The brake pads still look chunky but they've dried up and gone really hard.


The brake lever has definitely seen better days. It's covered in scratches and mounted on the wrong side of the bars. The ferrulle/cable adjuster has snapped in half. The grips in the above photo are some knock-off A'me Tri grips that came with the bars.

The Group 1b originally came with a set of Haro Racing Bars but I replaced these with a set of Powerlite Cruiser bars. A local pro from Castle Hill BMX track said the stock bars were took big for me so they were switched out. To be honest, I think I felt more comfortable on the stock bars. I've kept the original bars, with original Haro Krayton grips. They're currently mounted on my Mongoose.


That's it for this post and for the front-end of the the Group 1b. I'll continue the rest of my BMX breakdown in the next Group 1b post!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.