Haro Group 1b BMX... The Back End

Leave a Comment
This post is a continuation of my previous time capsule post running through the stock set-up of a 1990 Haro Group 1b Race Technique BMX and the changes that I made to it.


The Group 1b came with a Fusion TwinTorc seat post clamp. I kept the seat post clamp because that thing looked chunky and really looked cool. It's still in great shape, only the nuts and bolts are a little rusted.

The Group 1b came with an unbranded steel straight seat post and a black Fusion seat that was made by Velo. The first thing I did to my new Group 1b was to switch out the seat and seat post.


The seat was replaced with a generic BMX stamped seat as seen in the above photo. It was a lot wider than the Fusion seat. I spent a lot of time sitting while riding so I needed a little comfort. I'd even sit and ride during a race. I probably would have went a nice cushioned seat, if I didn't get laughed at! Good thing is I still have the original seat.

The seat post I switched out for a laid back seat post.  The reason why; my mate rode with a laid-back seat post so I needed one. The only difference was I was 5'11", he was 6'3". Still great to have a 1989 USA BMX laid back seat post. Sadly, I haven't been able to find the original seat post.


The drive train on the Group 1b consisted of generic 175mm cranks, an Anlun bottom bracket, a Haro Uni/Directional 43T chainring and a set of Victor plastic pedals. The cranks are pretty rusted up but the bottom bracket, spider and chainring are still in great order.


I had to get rid of the plastic pedals and throw on a set of Victor Bear Traps. These were the knock off of the Suntour XC-II, but these were the pedals that we rode back in the day. They were cheap and did the job. The pedals are pretty banged up after years of abuse. The photo above still shows some chewing gum stuck in the bear traps from back in the 90s!


Finally the wheels. These are dead-set stock. SUMO 36H 20 x 1.75 rims, exact replica's of the ARAYA rims, even down to the stamping, They were laced to Jou Yu 36H low flange hubs and had a Suntour 17T freewheel. The stock tyres on the Group 1b were Cheng Shin Comp 3-type 1.75's.

The rims are pretty thrashed. Lots of gutter rash and a few flat spots from slamming into the gutter. The tyres are complete thrashed. The skin walls are frayed and falling apart and the rear one is almost worn through in spots. There's no way they could hold air.

So that's my 1990 Haro Group 1b Race Technique. Let's get it back to a rider with some of the other parts I've always wanted!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.