How My BMX Restoration Journey Begun

Leave a Comment
1990 Haro Group 1b Race Technique BMX bike in dismay

My mum decided to do a clean-up of the place in preparation for having the floor boards painted. That got me back into the garage and made me look up and see my old BMX bikes hanging from the rafters.

Staring at those BMX bikes brought memories of my grandfather flooding back to me. He was an amazing man; my hero and idol. He was the handyman of our family and would fix, restore and glue everything that was broken. There was nothing he couldn't fix, except his heart.

My grandfather always dreamed that one day I would learn a trade. He wanted me to work with my hands; building things and fixing things. I always pushed it away because there was mates to hang out with or other things to do. My selfishness meant that he never had the opportunity to pass on all his knowledge to me before he passed away.

Staring at my two original BMX bikes had me overcome with emotions. I needed them. I needed take them, use them, restore them and learn from them. Restoring them would teach me some new skills and and help me reconnect with the memories my grandfather. I really miss him.

1981 Mongoose Team BMX bike in dismay

I walked away from my BMX bikes for a couple of weeks, but all I could hear in the back of my mind was "Ich! Naprawy! / Go! Fix them up!". Two weeks passed and I was back with my car, loading up my two BMX bikes and all parts I could find. A 1990 Haro Group 1b Race Technique and a 1980 Mongoose Team BMX bikes.

That brings us to here; Post #1. How it all begun. This is a trip through my mind, through the lessons that I've learnt and through the restoration tricks and things I've picked up along the way. This blog will show the progress of how it all came together.

Be Warned: These posts will be picture heavy as I want to document everything that I do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.